How I Met Your Mother is a CBS sitcom which ran from 2005 until 2014. The series is a recounting of the story of how the main character met his children's mother.
- The schedule for CBS shown in the CDE's office in The Muppets spoofs the show with "I am Not Your Father".
- In a season five episode, the gang complains about how disgustingly nice Marshall can be to the denizens of New York City as he walks down the street. Barney remarks that there is only one street where people are that nice. "I'll give you a hint: a giant yellow bird lives on it."
- In the season 6 episode "Glitter" the gang watches a DVD of the Canadian kid show "Space Teens", in which Robin was one of the hosts, and they start to compare it to porn. Robin defends the show and says that it's no different than The Electric Company or Sesame Street.
- In a behind-the-scenes "Making Of" for the first season, Neil Patrick Harris describes the walk he gave to former tree-hugging, hippie Barney ("Game Night") as a "Gobo Fraggle" walk.
- Appearing on Conan to promote The Muppets, Jason Segel explains that Fozzie Bear was his favorite Muppet growing up. "Occasionally on my sitcom, How I Met Your Mother, I do the Wocka Wocka Face when it's a joke I'm not totally comfortable with." Segel then tells a joke, turns to the camera and does a silent Fozzie impression.
- Rachel Bloom played Wanda in "The Drunk Train"
- Wayne Brady played James Stinson (2006-2014)
- Dan Castellaneta played Milt in "Right Place Right Time"
- Bill Fagerbakke played Marvin Eriksen
- Harvey Fierstein played Lily's smoking voice in "Last Cigarette Ever"
- Bunny Gibson played dancer in "Girls Vs. Suits"
- Neil Patrick Harris played Barney Stinson
- Katie Holmes played Naomi in "The Slutty Pumpkin Returns"
- John Lithgow played Jerry Whitaker in four episodes (2011-2014)
- Kristin Newman served as a writer and producer for the series
- Katy Perry played Honey in "Oh Honey"
- Regis Philbin appeared as himself in "The Best Burger in New York"
- Suzi Plakson played Judy Erikson
- Kenny Rogers played the kindly book narrator in "Duel Citizenship"
- Kristen Schaal played Laura Girard in "The Platinum Rule"
- Jason Segel played Marshall Erikson
- Martin Short played Garrison Cootes in three episodes (2011-2012)
- Cobie Smulders played Robin Scherbatsky
- Alex Trebek played himself in "False Positive"
- Ben Vereen played Sam Gibbs in four episodes (2010-2014)
- "Weird Al" Yankovic played himself in "Noretta"