House of Cards is a political drama and the first original series produced for Netflix, focusing on a ruthless American politician. Premiering in 2013, it is a loose adaptation of the 1990 BBC mini-series of the same name (and its sequels, based on the novel by Michael Dobbs), and retains the device of the protagonist (Frank Underwood, in this case) often speaking directly to the audience to reveal his true thoughts.
- The series was spoofed by Sesame Street in Episode 4519 with the Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf in "House of Bricks." Kevin Spacey shared the clip on Google+, commenting "How brilliant!"
- At a press conference for Muppets Most Wanted, Constantine says he wants to make a new Netflix program called House of Toads.
- In a 2014 Entertainment Weekly video, Elmo (portraying Frank Underwood) two-facedly approves Cookie Monster's idea for a cookie food pyramid in a parody of the show.
- In a pre-taped segment for The Muppets Take the Bowl, a faux-Netflix queue lists a Muppet production entitled "House of Lard."
- The sixth episode features a CNN debate between Frank Underwood and Marty Spinella that devolves into a metaphor about vowels, which Spinella compares to Sesame Street.
- Jennifer Barnhart played Speaker McCarthy in Chapter 53 (2017)
- Emilio Delgado played Ambassador Davila in Chapter 33 (2015)
- Jodie Foster directed Chapter 22 (2014)
- Charles Gibson played himself in Chapter 43 (2016)
- Murphy Guyer played Oren Chase in Chapter 3 (2013) and Chapter 42 (2016)
- Soledad O'Brien played herself in in Chapter 3 (2013)
- George Stephanopoulos played himself in Chapters 2 (2013) and 37 (2015)