The common hippopotamus, or hippo, is a large, mostly herbivorous mammal in sub-Saharan Africa. The name comes from the ancient Greek for "river horse". After the elephant and rhinoceros, the common hippopotamus is the third-largest type of land mammal.
- "Hippopotamus Round," a Sesame Street song.
- "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," a Christmas song.
- "There's a Bird on Me," a Sesame Street song sung by Jerry Nelson with an origami-styled animation of a hippo with several birds on him.
- Ernie wants to see the hippos in the book Who's Who at the Zoo?.
- In Elmo's World: Up and Down, Elmo sees how many times a hippo can jump on a pogo stick
- The Detective Series features a segment with a hippo bouncing on a trampoline.
- A bunch of hippos play hide the hippo in episode 126 of Jim Henson's Animal Show with Stinky and Jake.
- A hippo appeared in Muppets Tonight episode 103 as one of the animals running away from a lion after "The Lion Sleeps Tonight".
- A hippo appeared in the acappela music video of "The Muppet Show Theme" released in 2016.