Green Lantern is the name of several characters published by DC Comics since 1940. Created by artist Martin Nodell and writer Bill Finger, the Green Lanterns battle evil using a ring that bestows great powers upon them.
- A teaser trailer released for The Muppets in June 2011 parodies the look and feel of the theatrical Green Lantern feature film released to theatres the following weekend. The beginning of the trailer features a voice-over reminiscent of the Green Lantern oath, spoken by Kermit the Frog. A mock promo poster was also released featuring Kermit as a Green Lantern. He wears The Muppets movie logo as his chest emblem, and the poster's tagline reads "It's not easy being green."
- In the Farscape episode "Throne for a Loss", the following exchange takes place after John Crichton places an alien weapon on his wrist:
- Crichton: So once I get it on, how do I get it to work?
- D'Argo: It just, uh, does.
- Crichton: Right. Willpower. Like the Green Lantern's ring.
- Various Green Lantern comic books have made mention to the Muppets. (see gallery below)
- DC Comics writer Geoff Johns, who revived one version of the character in 2005 and introduced other Lanterns in the color spectrum, was asked by Newsarama who might voice the Orange Lantern Larfleeze in a potential animated feature. Johns replied, "I know he sounds like a Muppet, but I don't know which one."
- In 2006, Robert Smigel wrote a script for a proposed Green Lantern comedy starring Jack Black. One scene involves a Green Lantern using his ring to create a construct of Elmo in a sexual encounter with Barbara Walters. The script also describes some alien creatures who look like Muppets (on pages 62 and 63).
- Michael Clarke Duncan voiced Kilowog in Green Lantern (2011)
- Christopher Meloni voiced Hal Jordan in Green Lantern: First Flight (2009, animated direct to video)
- Jerry Nelson voiced Green Lantern in the audiobook Justice League of America: The Lunar Invaders (directed and produced by Christopher Cerf).
- Rob Paulsen voiced the Weaponers in Green Lantern: First Flight (2009)
- Ryan Reynolds played Hal Jordan in Green Lantern (2011)
- Tim Robbins played Senator Hammond in Green Lantern (2011)
- Geoffrey Rush voiced Tomar-Re in Green Lantern (2011)
- Peter Sarsgaard played Hector Hammond in Green Lantern (2011)
- William Schallert voiced Appa Ali Apsa in Green Lantern: First Flight (2009)
- John Stephenson voiced Ganthet in the Duck Dodgers cross-over episode "The Green Loontern" (2003)