|PATTERN||Large Lavender Live Hand|
The often confused Granny was mostly known for her "Answer Lady" skits, in which she solved viewers' problems (or at least attempted to). The program was broadcast from her cozy, sun-filled kitchen in Goat Corners, New Hampshire. As late as the 1975 book See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Smell No Evil, she was referred to as "the Answer Person" and consulted for advice in ridding the Sesame Street Clubhouse of all odors. In most book appearances, however, she functioned as an all-purpose feisty old lady.
She was also featured in the "Here is Your Life" episode from 1972, celebrating the life of Oak Tree (where she's performed by Jim Henson). In that sketch, Granny Fanny visits from the farmhouse down the road to pay her respects to the tree, which she had planted in the ground when he was just an acorn. She even brings a picture of the acorn. Guy Smiley endearingly calls her "Farmer Fanny" (a reference to Fanny Farmer, author of the famous cookbook of the same name).
Although Granny has been depicted on many pieces of merchandise through the years, she never really became a main character.
Answer Lady sketches
- Granny tries to solve the problem of why ketchup won't come out of a bottle. Her co-host points out that she should remove the bottle cap first. Having solved the problem, Granny ends up pouring ketchup all over the place.
- Granny reads a letter from a viewer asking how to tell the difference between two kittens. Granny herself can't tell the difference, despite the fact that the two cats are different colors. (SSvideo)
- Granny shows how to make a telephone call, but can't figure out how to use the phone.
- The Sesame Street ABC Storybook (1974)
- Big Bird's Busy Book (1975)
- I'm My Mommy - I'm My Daddy (1975)
- See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Smell No Evil (1975)
- The Sesame Street Neighborhood Coloring Book (1976)
- The Sesame Street Block Party Coloring Book (1977)
- The Sesame Street Cookbook (1978)
- Going for a Ride (1979)
- The Sesame Street Dictionary (1980)
- Put & Play Magic Show (1981)
- The Sesame Street Circus of Opposites (1981)
- What Do You Do? (1981)