|DESIGN||Caroly Wilcox designer/builder|
Fred the Wonder Horse travels with Marshal Grover in a recurring series of Sesame Street sketches. He first appeared in Season 5 (1973). In these sketches, Fred is wiser than Marshal Grover, and often resolves Grover's problems, such as finding water in the desert, rescuing animals, and counting backwards.
Though he is usually seen in the company of Grover, he is occasionally seen on the street. He performed the song "Cripple Creek" with Buffy (EKA: Episode 1041), and he sang "Horse Sense" with Judy Collins. (First: Episode 0961) He joined Buster the Horse to back up Gladys the Cow on "Proud to Be a Cow", performed here by Ed Christie (First: Episode 1650). He also appeared as "Professor Fred", lecturing kids about body parts.
- In a season 27 sketch and in Elmo's World: Wild Wild West!, the Buster the Horse puppet is used as the character.
- Matt Vogel performed the character for an appearance in a season three episode of Play with Me Sesame.
- The Sesame Street Dictionary (1980)
- The Sesame Street Question and Answer Book About Animals (1983)
- Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street? (1984)
- A Silly Sesame Street Story: The Three Little Pigs (1984)
- Trace & Color (1984)
- Find the Shapes (1986)
- Colors (1987)