Forrest Gump is a 1994 Academy Award winning film starring Tom Hanks. The film tells the story of a man and his epic journey through life meeting historical figures, influencing popular culture and experiencing first-hand historic events of the late 20th century while being largely unaware of their significance, due to his borderline intellectual disability.
- In one scene, Forrest Jr. is shown watching an Ernie and Bert sketch from Sesame Street. When Forrest goes to join his son in front of the TV he asks what he is watching, and Forrest Jr. simply replies "Bert and Ernie" - the father and son sit and watch the show together. The scene takes place in late 1981, around the time the show would have been entering its 13th season.
- The film's theatrical poster was spoofed in the calendar Kermit the Frog's 1996 Advertising Parodies! as "Forrest Green" with the tag-line "green is as green does" (a spoof of the film's line "Stupid is as stupid does").
- Dick Cavett appeared as himself
- Sally Field played Mrs. Gump
- Tom Hanks played Forrest Gump
- Haley Joel Osment played Forrest Gump Jr.