Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fiddler on the Roof is a long-running Broadway musical, based on the Jewish Tevye stories of Sholem Aleichem, first debuting in 1964 and running through 1972. Many revivals have been staged since, the most recent occurring in 2004. It has been adapted into an acclaimed 1971 film. The plot focuses on the trials and tribulations of Tevye the milkman, his many daughters, and the entire village of Anatevka.
- "If I Were a Rich Man," one of the musical's show-stopping numbers, was performed by Garth Brooks in Muppets Tonight episode 102. Brooks appeared on a roof set, as Tevye, accompanied by a chorus of chickens and Floyd Pepper as the Fiddler.
- In a "Monsterpiece Theater" version of Fiddler on the Roof, a farmer and his daughters sing about "Addition," a parody of the play's opening song, "Tradition".
- On Sesame Street, an installment of "Sneak Peek Previews" reviewed Fiddler on the Roof. This version stars a group of grouches, one of whom plays his violin everywhere except the roof. Oscar loves it, but Telly expresses a dislike for the music.
- In the Bear in the Big Blue House special "A Berry Bear Christmas," Doc Hogg jokes about hearing a Great Dane perform Fiddler on the Woof. Several moments later, Bear describes what a tradition is, with the word drawn on the screen. He recites it with a flair reminiscent of the song of the same name from Fiddler on the Roof.
- In the waiting area for the Sesame Place stage show Elmo the Musical, a spoof poster hangs for the show.
Many actors who have been involved in Muppet/Henson productions also appeared in versions of Fiddler.
- Barry Dennen played Mendel in the 1971 film.
- Harvey Fierstein played Tevye in the 2004-2006 revival, replacing Alfred Molina.
- George Little played Hone in the 1971 film.
- Stefan Ljungqvist played Tevye on stage in Sweden.
- Andrea Martin played Golde in the 2004-2006 revival.
- Bette Midler made her Broadway debut as a replacement for Rivka in the original run, and later took over as Tzeitel.
- Zero Mostel originated the role of Tevye, reprising it for the first revival in 1977 and for tours and recordings.
- Rosie O'Donnell followed Martin as Golde in the 2004-2006 revival.
- Austin Pendleton originated the role of Motel in the 1964 original.
- Joe Ponazecki originated the role of Fyedka in the 1964 original.
- Rolf Sand played the Rabbi in a Norwegian stage production.
- Michelan Sisti played Motel in the 1981 revival.
- Florence Stanley played Yente during the original run beginning in 1965, replacing Bea Arthur.
- Øystein Wiik played Motel in a Norwegian stage production.
- David Wohl played Lazar Wolf in the 2004-2006 revival.
- Louis Zorich played the Constable in the 1971 film.