|The Muppet Show|
|Production||August 11-13, 1980|
|Premiere|| UK: February 1, 1981|
US: February 14, 1981
In honor of Johnny Cash's appearance, the show is simulcast over country radio station WHOG, and the radio broadcast threatens to overwhelm the actual show. The head of WHOG, Big Tiny Tall Saddle, insists on making all the decisions. He refuses to let Rowlf go on, and instead schedules Grampaw McGuire and his whistling bricks. Kermit tries to run his own show, but Big Tiny is one of the toughest men alive -- when he's annoyed, he has a habit of wrapping microphone stands around people's necks. Fozzie is replaced by Big Tiny's nephew, Wally Whoopie, a stand-up comedian who makes fun of the bear -- which inspires Kermit to stand up for his friend, and his show.
- The Martins and the Coys sing "The Martins and the Coys"
- Johnny sings "Riders in the Sky" while Gonzo runs around the stage as an outlaw.
- UK Spot: Lew Zealand and The Gills Brothers sing "Goodnight Sardine".
- Johnny sings "Dirty Old Egg Sucking Dog," an anti-canine song that infuriates Rowlf.
- Fozzie's Monologue: Wally Whoopie
- Johnny sings a duet of "Orange Blossom Special/Jackson" with Miss Piggy, backed by Lubbock Lou and his Jughuggers.
- This is the only episode where the stage setting is the same through the entire episode.
- Cash's duet with Miss Piggy on "Jackson" is one of the only recorded occasions where he performed the song with someone other than his wife, June Carter Cash.
- Kermit the Frog, Big Tiny Tallsaddle, Fozzie Bear, Billy Boy, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Miss Piggy, Statler and Waldorf, Pops, The Martins and the Coys, Wally Whoopie, Whatnots, Cows, Bull, Chickens, Lew Zealand, The Gills Brothers, Geri and the Atrics Guitar Player, Beauregard,
- Slim Wilson, Zeke, Gramps, Lou, Bubba, Lubbock Lou, T.R. the Rooster, Old Skyball Paint, Goat, Ducks, Baby, Old Skyball Paint, Gaffer the Cat
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf, Waldorf and Wally Whoopie
- Frank Oz as Fozzie Bear and Miss Piggy
- Jerry Nelson as Pops, Big Tiny Tall Saddle, Lew Zealand, Slim Wilson and Bearded Man
- Richard Hunt as Scooter and Statler
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo, Singer, Hillbilly and Beauregard
- Steve Whitmire as Billy Boy and Singer
- Kathy Mullen as Singer
- Louise Gold as Singer
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Wally Boag||Buddy Rich|