|The Muppet Show|
|Production||July 14-17, 1980|
|Premiere|| UK: December 21, 1980|
US: May 23, 1981
|Releases||Best of the Muppet Show|
- Sinbad the Sailor (Kermit) runs across an evil genie (Sweetums), and pretends to be Sinbad the Surfer. He and his band of frog sailors sing "Surfin' USA".
- The genie of the lamp (Feldman) grants a wish to Aladdin (Gonzo) -- and gives him a chorus of chicken dancing girls dancing to "In a Persian Market".
- UK Spot: "Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish" sung by Whirling Wanda and Turkish Whatnots
- Sam the Eagle plays a patent officer in a sketch with Feldman, who plays Wilbur and Orville Wright (his mother wanted twins). Wilbur and Orville wants to patent the flying carpet -- but when Sam asks for details, he learns that the flying carpet is on the floor of a passenger jet. When the sketch gets too out there, Feldman brings it to an end by sing "The Laughing Policeman" with a chorus of policemen.
- A puppet version of Feldman appears as Ali Baba, with Fozzie Bear as the head of the Forty Thieves (or, as it turns out, the Three Bears). To escape being boiled in oil, Fozzie sings "Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight". When he yells "Open Sesame," the cast of Sesame Street emerges.
- Feldman meets his favorite Muppet -- the similarly googily-eyed Cookie Monster.
- The Muppet cast all develop Feldman's signature crossed eyes.
- In the cold opening, Feldman brings Sopwith the Camel into the theater. For this episode, the camel is called "Loretta".
- This episode is the third and final time Sesame Street characters appear on The Muppet Show.
- Upon hearing that the final story has to be "Ali Baba and the 3 Thieves" instead of "Ali Baba and the 4 Thieves" (instead of "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves" due to budget problems), Feldman complains, "They didn't do this to Liza Minnelli."
- Frank Oz voiced Fozzie, Bert, Grover, and Cookie Monster in the final musical number. A huge accomplishment for both Frank Oz and The Muppet Show, which made it a point to not pair characters played by the same Muppeteer (ie. usually not even pairing Fozzie or Miss Piggy) .
- Nickelodeon: The backstage scene before "The Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk" sketch was cut.
Guest appearance by:
- The cast of Sesame Street: Cookie Monster, Ernie, Bert, Grover, Count von Count, two Anything Muppets
- Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, the Swedish Chef, Sam the Eagle, Sweetums, Scooter, Statler and Waldorf, Pops, Sopwith the Camel (aka Loretta), Ali Baba (Marty Feldman look-alike), Whirling Wanda (the Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish), Animal, Whatnots, Frogs, Chickens, Old Skyball Paint, Billy the Bear, Baby Bear
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, The Swedish Chef, Waldorf and Ernie
- Frank Oz as Fozzie Bear, Sam the Eagle, Animal, Grover, Cookie Monster and Bert
- Jerry Nelson as Pops, Robin, Policeman, Old Skyball Paint and Count von Count
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Statler and Sweetums
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo and Ali Baba
- Steve Whitmire as Frog and Whatnot Singer
- Louise Gold as Goldilocks and Whirling Wanda
- Kathy Mullen as Gaffer and Female Singer
- Brian Muehl as Billy the Bear
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Hal Linden||Chris Langham|