|The Muppet Show|
|Production||July 1-4, 1980|
|Premiere|| UK: November 16, 1980|
US: June 8, 1981
|Releases||En El Show De Los Muppets|
Kermit is plagued by a night of backstage crises. A group of skiers get hurt during the opening number, and after Kermit says that the theater will cover their medical costs, Scooter forgets to cash the check. The Teeterini Family are angry that their teeter board won't fit on the stage. The Swedish Chef prepares spring chicken, and the bouncing chicken drives Kermit crazy. And let's not even talk about the blindfolded, hang-gliding yodelers.
- "Tumbling Tumbleweeds."
- "Don't Cry Out Loud" (Melissa Manchester)
- "Oh! Susanna"
- Muppet News Flash: Beef Falls Dramatically
- Pigs in Space (The Creature from Crab Nebula)
- UK Spot: "Once in Love With Amy"
- "Whenever I Call You Friend" (Melissa, Floyd Pepper, and the Muppets)
- "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?" (Birds, Dogs, and the Walrus)
- The Swedish Chef: Spring Chicken
- "Your Cheatin' Heart" (Melissa, The Mutations, and the pigs)
Cold Open: Melissa Manchester arrives at the Stage Door, asking Pops if she's arrived in the right place. Her agent has booked on her some some weird show and a rambunctious Animal, a Two-Headed Woman and Crazy Harry explosion confirm she's in the right place.
|"The Muppet Show Theme": Gonzo starts to blow his trumpet, but Kermit cuts in with his own trumpet, blowing Gonzo out of the "O".|
|With the help of some special effects, the Vienna Downhill Boys Choir performs "Tumblin' Tumbleweeds" as they ski down the Alps, with many a wipe-out along the way.|
|Backstage, the skiers return, in casts and wheelchairs. One claims they learned from the best - Klaus Noodlemen, who was also part of the number and confined to a wheelchair.|
|In an abstract circus set, Melissa sings "Don't Cry Out Loud."|
|Kermit assures the skiers the show will cover their medical expenses, as long as Scooter remembered to mail the check. He did forget and the skiers surround him, planning to invite him to their cast party.|
|Beauregard plays "Oh! Susanna" on his harmonica on an out-of-control rocking chair.|
|Muppet News Flash: The Newsman reports that beef fell dramatically on Wall Street today. A cow lands on him.|
|From the wings, Melissa asks Kermit where the cow came from. Kermit can't really explain and assures her things only fall on the Newsman. "Pigs in Space" is next, relieving Melissa, who thought it was "Pigs from Space." Backstage, some pigs from space fall on the Newsman.|
|Pigs in Space: Link Hogthrob and Dr. Julius Strangepork encounter a creature from the Crab Nebula. Miss Piggy suggests they use the ship's universal translator. The creature turns out to be a representative of Swunko, the Wash-Day Miracle!|
|UK Spot: Fozzie Bear and Pops sing and dance "Once in Love With Amy," though Fozzie can't keep up with the moves.|
|Melissa and Floyd Pepper have a brief chat about blues, then begin singing "Whenever I Call You Friend." The rest of the Muppets join in.|
|Up next is The Teeterini Family, but there's no room onstage for their teeter-totter. The family demonstrates their act, sending the performers (and Kermit and Fozzie) flying all over).|
|A trio of birds pluck "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?" on a guitar. Some dogs appear on cue, as well as an unexpected walrus.|
|The Swedish Chef prepares some spring chickens, who spring from the pot and bounce around the kitchen.|
|The Chef and the chickens make their way through backstage. Kermit can't handle much more - skiers on crutches and chickens on springs. "These are a few of my favorite things!," Gonzo sings.|
|In sunny Spain, Melissa sings "Your Cheatin' Heart" accompanied by the Mutations. She spots Link cheating on her with Annie Sue and sends a raging bull after him.|
|Melissa comes out for the goodnights, happy with her time on the show, despite the skiers, Teeterinis and chickens. Kermit assures her next week's acts won't be as crazy, as the Yodeling Hang-glider arrives one week early.|
|During the credits, a Teeterini lands in Statler and Waldorf's box. They wave the white flag of surrender.|
- Nickelodeon: "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?" was cut.
- Kermit the Frog, Scooter, Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, Rowlf the Dog, Link Hogthrob, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Floyd Pepper, Animal, Lips, Beauregard, The Newsman, Pops, Gonzo, The Swedish Chef, Statler and Waldorf, The Mutations, Chopped Liver, Walrus, Bull, Chickens, Cow, Whatnots, Birds, Crazy Harry, Muppy, Afghan Hound, French Poodle
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf, Waldorf, Link Hogthrob, the Swedish Chef and the Newsman
- Frank Oz as Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy and Animal
- Jerry Nelson as Floyd Pepper, Pops, the Announcer, Dr. Strangepork, a Skier and a Chicken
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Janice and Statler
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo, Beauregard, Chopped-Liver Monster and a Skier
- Steve Whitmire as Lips, a Skier and Dog
- Kathy Mullen as Gaffer
- Louise Gold as Annie Sue Pig and a Teeterini family member
- Brian Muehl as Cow and others
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Paul Simon||Tony Randall|