|The Muppet Show|
|Production||May 29-31, 1979|
|Premiere|| UK: December 7, 1979|
US: September 27, 1979
Miss Piggy announces that this show is Kermit's birthday, and before he can react, she launches into the tribute she's organized. They've planned a This Is Your Life-style show with birthday greetings, including one from Mr. Dawson, Kermit's old acting coach from Leland, Mississippi. Wayne and Wanda, the singing duo from the first season, show up and give Kermit such a guilt trip that he rehires them. When they sing, Kermit remembers why he fired them in the first place, and he does it again. At the end of the show, Kermit admits that it's not his birthday, which is about four months from now.
- Linda and the Muppets sing "Happy Birthday to You" to Kermit
- Robin and The Frogs sing "Be a Frog"
- Kermit talks to his old acting coach, Mr. Dawson
- Linda and The Electric Mayhem sing "The More I See You"
- The Swedish Chef shows Linda his birthday surprise -- a replica of Kermit's head made of chopped liver. Linda points out that it's not green, so the Chef spray-paints it.
- UK Spot: Robin and The Frogs sing "Frog Kissin'"
- Veterinarian's Hospital: Robin the Frog
- Statler and Waldorf reminisce about their past birthdays, singing "It Was a Very Good Year."
- Kermit talks to Wayne and Wanda
- Linda and the Muppets sing "Beyond the Blue Horizon"
- During the closing, Linda and the Muppets sing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" to Kermit, prior to his shocking revelation: it's not his birthday.
|Cold Open: Linda Lavin asks Scooter to "make her a sandwich", and he does so with magic. "Everybody's a comedian," grumbles Linda.|
|The Muppet Show Theme: As Gonzo blows his horn, he disappears in small portions (like a blind).|
|UK Spot: Robin and the frogs sing "Frog Kissin'".|
- Watch the final production number closely. As Linda's walking down the huge birthday cake and the Muppets are walking up, she elbows her way past Fozzie.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf the Dog, Statler and Waldorf, Dr. Teeth, Floyd Pepper, Zoot, Janice, Animal, The Swedish Chef, Robin the Frog, Wayne, Wanda, Annie Sue, Mr. Dawson, Zuzu Fitzwaller, Frogs, Mrs. Appleby
- Cow, Catgut, Horse, Old Lady, Muppy, Lew Zealand, Sam the Eagle, Louis Kazagger, Quongo, Beauregard, Marvin Suggs, Zelda Rose, Wolfhound, Frackles, Chickens, Beaker, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Blue Frackle, Lou, Mary Louise, French Poodle
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Waldorf, and the Swedish Chef
- Frank Oz as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, and Animal
- Jerry Nelson as Floyd Pepper, Robin, Zuzu Fitzwaller, Horse, and the Announcer
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Wayne, Statler, Janice, and Cow
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo, Zoot, and Mr. Dawson
- Kathryn Mullen as Wanda and Mrs. Appleby
- Louise Gold as Annie Sue
- Steve Whitmire as others
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Victor Borge||Dudley Moore|