|The Muppet Show|
|Production||April 11-13, 1978|
|Premiere|| UK: January 19, 1979|
US: October 19, 1978
|Releases|| Season 3|
Best of the Muppet Show
- "Never on Sunday"
- Veterinarian's Hospital: The Swedish Chef
- Muppet News Flash
- UK Spot:"I Want to Sing in Opera"
- Liberace gives a concert for the birds including "Chopsticks," "Misty," "Chopin's Nocturne No. 5," and "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue."
- In an interview on Muppet Central, Steve Whitmire remembered, "The first time I ever did a speaking part, I was doing a guard that was outside Liberace’s dressing room door. Jim gave me this part to do, to try me in a speaking role, and I was terrible." Although Whitmire cites this as his first speaking role, he did perform Winky Pinkerton and a couple of speaking whatnots in episode 308 which was taped one week earlier.
- Fletcher Bird speaks for the only time in this episode.
|Cold Open: Liberace thanks Scooter on behalf of the Muppets for making his collection complete: in addition to having piano-shaped rings and pool, he now has a piano-shaped pet, whose growls indicate it needs a walking (or tuning).|
|"The Muppet Show Theme": Gonzo blows into his horn, with no result. It then plays a fanfare by itself.|
| ||Kermit tells those occupying the Canteen to be on their best behavior for Liberace, especially the rambunctious Animal. Scooter alerts Kermit the show has started and he tries to put on an air of class and he fumbles his way to stage. During his intro, Rowlf sadly strolls by, knowing he has no place in tonight's proceedings with such a renowned pianist as a guest.|
| ||Miss Piggy and the pigs perform the Greek number, "Never on Sunday," while dancing and smashing plates. Animal mishears the musical style ("bouzouki") and brings a bazooka onstage, destroying a portion of the set.|
| ||Alfredo and Hildegard, the mop dancers, head onstage to clean up the mess from the opening act. Fletcher Bird arrives, asking directions to Liberace's dressing room. Kermit explains that Liberace's concert later will be devoted to birds, which he's auditioning in his room. Gonzo rushes in, stating his chicken act will be perfect.|
|Scooter heads down to the canteen to alert the Swedish Chef he's on. He hastily plops Floyd's fried egg in Gladys' hand and she in turn plops it on the table by him. He asks for a hand-full of coffee as well.|
|The Swedish Chef prepares coffee with his percolator. When he shuts it off, he still hears it going. He removes his hat, discover he's been inflicted with a case of "in-grown coffee pot" as the crew from Veterinarian's Hospital examine and crack jokes.|
|Gonzo attempts to get by the guard Kermit has positioned outside Liberace's dressing room. He gets by, claiming to be a turkey ("Have you seen my acts?!").|
|Muppet News Flash: The Newsman states remodeling will soon begin on the Muppet Newsroom...as soon as he finishes his sentence.|
|Liberace reports that he's down to the 10 finalists in his bird auditions.|
|UK Spot: Piggy and some pig singers sing "I Want to Sing in Opera."|
| ||Liberace begins his concert with a variation of "Chopsticks." He then trades some barbs with Statler and Waldorf before showing off his jewelry to the crowd. He begins the concert with "Misty," set in a foggy bay amid some seagulls. He then launches into "Chopin's Nocturne No. 5" with the Bird Dancers.|
| ||Sam arrives onstage, pleased with the concert so far, but knowing the typical show format, worries Liberace will launch into some "shameless boogie woogie." Liberace promises he won't be doing that soon; he'll be doing that now! He suddenly changes into a rhinestone tuxedo and leads a grand finale of "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue" with all the birds (and Rowlf on piano while Liberace dances).|
|While Liberace comes out to say goodnight, Gonzo rushes in, upset his chicken act wasn't used. Liberace states they'll be a part of his new Las Vegas act, having already ordered the rhinestone bunny ears.|
- Nickelodeon: The scene prior to Fletcher Bird's appearance (after the Greek number) and Gonzo talking to the security guard are cut.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf the Dog, Animal, Sam the Eagle, Floyd Pepper, Janice, Gladys, the Swedish Chef, Statler and Waldorf, the Newsman, Fletcher Bird, Alfredo the Mop Dancer, Pigs, Security Guard, Forcryingoutloud Bird, Piano
- Hildegard the Mop Dancer, Ohreally Bird, Righton Bird, Whaddayasay Bird, Youknow Bird, Bird Dancers, Gawky Birds, Seagulls, Winky Pinkerton, Camilla, Chickens, Goat, Canary, Harold, Link Hogthrob, Annie Sue Pig
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, the Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Link Hogthrob, Waldorf, the Newsman and Piano
- Frank Oz as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal and Sam the Eagle
- Jerry Nelson as Camilla, Floyd Pepper, Forcryingoutloud Bird and Pig
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Gladys, Statler, Janice and Pig
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo and Alfredo the Mop Dancer
- Louise Gold as Annie Sue
- Steve Whitmire as Security Guard and Fletcher Bird (Voice and Close-up Puppetry)
- Graham Fletcher as Fletcher Bird
- Falk, Karen. "Jim Henson's Red Book", 4/11/1978 - Liberace (MS)
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Loretta Lynn||Marisa Berenson|