|Plot||Roxie Marie and Elmo capture a Doozy bug|
|Air date||December 27, 1991|
|Season||Season 23 (1991-1992)|
|Sponsors||F, Q, 12|
A Doozy bug crawls across a crate in the courtyard. Roxie Marie tells Elmo to get out of her way, because she wants to follow the bug. Elmo wants to help her chase it, but she says he can't because he'll be in the way. He promises not to get in the way, but it's hard for him to keep that promise ...
Roxie has set out some books about bugs (including one about Bugs Bunny), one of which is bound to have information about the Doozy bug. Maria points out that some bugs are dangerous, which Roxie is already aware of. They search through the stack of books, and look inside the last one, All About Bugs. Roxie learns that the Doozy bug has 7 legs, lives only on Sesame Street, uses a pogo stick to get around, wears a feathery hat, and whistles through its nose. Its favorite food is corn on the cob, and its hobbies are building with blocks, using a typewriter, and playing the guitar. Just then, they spot the very bug they've been reading about, and Roxie struggles to get Elmo out of her way so she can chase it.
Roxie Marie lets Elmo borrow her bug net, but makes it clear that the bug she's going after belongs to her, not Elmo. After she goes away, Elmo hears the sounds of typing on a typewriter and guitar playing. He also spots a stack of giant blocks in the courtyard. He remembers that the Doozy bug likes all of these things, so he rushes over to the courtyard, thinking the bug is there. Instead of catching the bug, he learns that the blocks belong to Telly, Luis was playing the guitar, and Gordon was using a typewriter. Just then, Roxie spots the bug on the same crate she saw him on before, and tells Elmo to give her the net, but he looks in the wrong direction for it ...
Roxie has set up a trail to lead the bug towards her, using Gordon's typewriter, Luis's guitar, and a plate of corn on the cob. She thinks she has succeeded in trapping the bug, but it was Elmo who fell into the trap (he wanted to see what it felt like to be a bug). Suddenly, they hear the bug become lured into the typewriter and the guitar, and see it stop by the corncobs. Roxie throws her net over the bug, who remarks, "I am not amused ..."
Maria gives Roxie a shoe box for the bug (with holes in it so it can breathe). She plans to take the bug home and keep it in her room. Suddenly, they hear the bug crying inside the box. She lets the bug out of the box, and learns that it wants to go home to its family. Roxie sadly realizes that she has to let the bug go, and says goodbye to it. Elmo says, "It's nice to make a bug happy, Roxie."
Hoots notices Roxie feeling very sad about letting her bug go. He knows how she feels - owls like bugs as well (but for a different reason). It becomes dark as he plays his saxophone and sings the "Lost Bug Blues" with his back-up band.
Roxie mopes near Oscar's trash can, when Elmo tries to tell her something important. She refuses to talk to Elmo anymore today, since he seemed to get in her way in everything. Elmo shrugs, and goes off to play with his new Doozy bug pals by himself. Unlike Roxie, he knows that friends don't belong in boxes. Hoots announces the sponsors.
- "Beautiful Baby" song, over footage of various babies and their parents. (EKA: Episode 2226)
- Animation: Sand Q/q (EKA: Episode 1195)
- Kadeem Hardison says the alphabet with Natasha. (EKA: Episode 2787)
- Film: Bayou river (EKA: Episode 2609)
- Cartoon: A man teaches his dog Rover how to read the word "SIT." (EKA: Episode 0304)
- Game Show: "Dialing for Prizes Movie": Guy Smiley gives the lucky caller a group of monsters as a prize. (EKA: Episode 0666)
- Cartoon: F – football. (First: Episode 0135)
- Cartoon: "Poverty F" -- a man tries to remember a word beginning with the letter F, and another man lists as many words as he can think of to help him. (First: Episode 0128)
- Film: Body part shout-out (EKA: Episode 0813)
- Monsterpiece Theater: The Postman Always Rings Twice (EKA: Episode 2729)
- "Danger's No Stranger" (EKA: Episode 2259)
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Episode 2909||Episode 2911|