|The Muppet Show|
|Guest Starring||Elton John|
|Production Dates||October 25-27, 1977|
|Home Video|| Season Two|
Best of the Muppet Show
Sam the Eagle is appalled by guest star Elton John, who he says "dresses like a stolen car." When Kermit tells him that musicians as celebrated as Mozart have always dressed extravagantly, Sam confidently bets that it is untrue. Unfortunately for Sam, he is proven wrong and is forced to introduce the closing number wearing an outfit that rivals Elton's for its flashiness.
Scooter, on the other hand, appears to be Elton's biggest fan, introducing him as "the greatest talent in the history of the universe." When he asks Kermit if he can perform a song he wrote for Elton, the frog resists but, as usual, eventually caves--the go-fer's uncle does own the theater, after all. But after Scooter and a chorus of Muppets in outrageous outfits perform the song, which consists entirely of "la-la-las," Kermit apologizes to his guest star, claiming it to be possibly the worst song he has ever heard. Unfortunately, it turns out that Elton wrote the song--"Bennie and the Jets."
Meanwhile, the Swedish Chef tries to cook an omelet, but his chicken only lays ping-pong balls, so he decides to cook the chicken instead and ends up chasing it with a cleaver throughout the show, even interrupting such onstage sketches as Pigs in Space.
- "Crocodile Rock" (Elton, Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem and the crocodiles)
- The Swedish Chef: Ping Pong Ball Eggs
- Guest Star's Dressing Room: "Bennie and the Jets" (Elton, Scooter, Annie Sue, Green Frackle, Afghan Hound and a pig)
- Veterinarian's Hospital: Baskerville the Hound
- UK Spot: "Any Old Iron" (Kermit, Fozzie and two Whatnots)
- "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (Elton and Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem)
- Pigs in Space: Boredom
- "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" (Elton, Miss Piggy and Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem)
- In "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," Miss Piggy says "Eat Your Heart Out, Kiki," referencing Elton John's original recording partner in the duet, Kiki Dee.
|Scooter alerts Elton John it's almost time for the show. Elton claims how much fun he's having, even his lunch likes him!|
The audience is significantly louder after hearing Kermit's opening; it sounds like there are a greater number of cheering females than usual.
|In a crocodile-infested swamp, Elton performs "Crocodile Rock" with the Electric Mayhem. The crocodiles end up dragging him into the water in an attempt to gobble him up.|
|Kermit reminds the crocodiles of the policy of not eating the guests. He asks Miss Piggy if Elton is okay. She exclaims, "Okay? He's fantastic!" Kermit then bumps into a piano Scooter is trying to get into Elton's dressing room to play him a song. Kermit doesn't allow it, until he learns that it is Scooter's uncle's favorite song and helps push.|
|The Swedish Chef has a chicken ready to make "Egg du Chef." The chicken lays some ping-pong balls instead. Fed up, the Chef decides to prepare "Chicky du Chef" instead and begins chasing it with his frying pan.|
|In the dressing room, Elton finds the piano unnecessary. Kermit pleads for him to listen to Scooter's song. Scooter and other wigged-out Muppets enter and perform a terrible number. Kermit comments on how bad it was, until he learns that they were actually attempting "Bennie and the Jets," written by Elton himself. He plays the song the right way.|
|Veterinarian's Hospital: The doctors break out the dog puns when they find Baskerville the Hound is the patient.|
|UK Spot: Kermit, Fozzie and a pair of Whatnots sing "Any Old Iron."|
|The Swedish Chef, now brandishing a cleaver, chases the chicken past the curtain. Kermit promises Scooter can do the intro for Elton John, so long as he doesn't overdo it. Scooter then gives an "understated" introduction to "the greatest talent in the history of the universe..."|
|Elton and the Electric Mayhem perform "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road."|
|Pigs in Space: The crew faces the boredom of endless space travel. Suddenly, an alarm goes off, signaling the on-board arrival of aliens. The "aliens" turn out the be the Chef chasing the chicken through the set, causing some commotion. Once they leave, the pigs resume their bored state.|
|The chase continues backstage, but the roles have been reversed as the chicken now has the cleaver. Sam the Eagle tells Kermit how appalled he is at Elton, commenting he dresses like a "stolen car". Kermit counters, claiming Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart dressed oddly too. Sam bets that's not true and vows he'll eat his hat and give Elton and introduction if he's wrong. Scooter happens to have a painting of Mozart handy, which does prove Sam wrong. Two Whatnots push him behind a changing screen.|
|Sam, dressed in sparkly get-up, grudgingly gives Elton John an intro, then bites into his hat.|
|Backed by the Electric Mayhem once more, Elton sings "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Miss Piggy.|
|After the number, Statler and Waldorf are seen wearing eccentric outfits. Statler claims they look like members of the rock age, to which Waldorf responds, "we look more like members of the Stone Age."|
|Kermit and the rest of the gang have adopted Elton's bizarre sense of style. Elton however comes out in a normal suit and remarks that they're all dressed like stolen cars.|
|After the credits, Statler asks Waldorf what he thought. The Chef and chicken run through the balcony again and Waldorf adds "I hate running gags!"|
- When this episode was released on The Muppet Show: Season Two DVDs, the song "English Country Garden" was added to the episode.
- Veterinarian's Hospital was cut on Nickelodeon.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Scooter, Rowlf the Dog, Statler and Waldorf, The Swedish Chef, Janice, Link Hogthrob, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Sam the Eagle, The Singing Food, Chicken, Crocodiles, Baskerville the Hound, Elton John's Lunch.
- Dr. Teeth, Floyd Pepper, Zoot, Animal, Annie Sue Pig, Green Frackle, Afghan Hound,Beautiful Day Monster, Brewster, Miss Mousey, Svengali's Assistant, Zelda Rose, Pig, Whatnots
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, The Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Link Hogthrob, Waldorf and Dr. Teeth
- Frank Oz as Miss Piggy, Green Frackle, Fozzie Bear, a Crocodile, Sam the Eagle and Animal
- Jerry Nelson as Floyd Pepper, Elton John's Lunch, Dr. Julius Strangepork, a Crocodile, a Chicken and the Announcer
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Janice and Statler
- Dave Goelz as a Crocodile and Zoot
- Louise Gold as Background Singer (uncredited)
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Rudolf Nureyev||Lou Rawls|