|The Muppet Show|
|Production||July 19-21, 1977|
|Premiere|| UK: December 9, 1977|
US: October 31, 1977
|Releases|| Season Two|
Best of the Muppet Show
Kermit cancels the show in order to audition new acts. Guest star Steve is angry at first, but he goes on to perform for the cast. Fozzie worries that Kermit plans to hire replacements, especially after the audition of a canine comedian, Baskerville the Hound. Kermit tells Fozzie that he should appreciate seeing another artist's work -- until Lenny the Lizard auditions as a new emcee. A young singing girl, called Mary/Terry/Carrie Louise, is systematically removed off, when she makes an attempt of audition with her croaking partner.
- "Garbage Can-Can"
- "Swanee Ribbit"
- Steve does a balloon animal act.
- "Tie a Yellow Ribbit Round the Old Oak Tree"
- Fozzie's Comedy Act: Baskerville the Hound
- Lenny the Lizard auditions to replace Kermit as the show's emcee.
- The Fazoobs perform a Koozebanian musical number.
- UK Spot: Gonzo dances with Yolanda.
- "Old Man Ribbit"
- "Ramblin' Guy"
- "The Varsity Drag."
- "Yes, We Have No Bananas"
- Steve does his Juggling Guy act.
- The Flying Zucchini Brothers
- "Dueling Banjos"
- According to Brian Henson, this was the only episode to not have a laugh track. Instead, Muppet performers are heard laughing in the background. However, as revealed at MuppetFest, Richard Hunt's laugh was so loud that some recorded laughter had to be used after all.
- Footage of Kermit's theme intro appears at the beginning of The Muppets. It is the first footage of classic Muppets in the movie, with Walter being the only one in the film up to that moment.
- Baskerville the Hound and Lenny the Lizard receive their names in this episode. (In Episode 107, Florence Henderson called Lenny simply "Lizard".)
- The backstage is not shown in this episode, the off-stage interactions between the Muppets take place in the auditorium.
|Cold Open: Scooter gets a glimpse of Steve Martin's routine and determines that he'll feel right at home on The Muppet Show.|
|"The Muppet Show Theme": Gonzo's trumpet blows green smoke.|
|Kermit tells the audience that he has some bad news. Waldorf suggests that they might be lucky and the show has been canceled, and it turns out that he is right. Kermit tells the audience that he misread his calendar and had scheduled new acts to audition. Steve comes onstage to protest this cancellation, but it's too late. The audience (except Statler and Waldorf, who choose to stay) leaves the theater as the cast and crew get ready to watch the new acts.|
| || Worried for his job, Fozzie asks Kermit if he's just auditioning new acts as opposed to replacements, but it has not yet been determined.|
Kermit asks Scooter to bring on the first act.
|The first act is the Lautrec Sisters, a group of dancing rats doing the "Can-Can."|
|Scooter brings on Mary Louise and friend, a girl and frog duo, who perform "Swanee Ribbit". However, shortly after the act has begun, a Vaudevillian cane comes from backstage and pulls Mary Louise off.|
|Offstage, The Swedish Chef and Floyd Pepper discuss their aggravation about the show's cancellation.|
|Steve has an act prepared for the regular cast. He decides to do a balloon animals act. However, he learns that the others had already seen it performed, and doesn't want to repeat himself, so he decides to make animal balloons without blowing them up (this doesn't last long). He later talks about how he gets his balloons: from a balloon farm. However, the parent of Steve's balloons comes and attacks him.|
|The next act is Terry Louise and Friend, performing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree". Her act is again put to an abrupt stop.|
|The next act is comedian Baskerville the Hound, whose act is similar to that of Fozzie's. His act is also ended quickly, this time by Fozzie himself.|
|Offstage, Kermit reminds Fozzie that it's good to see different people in his line of work. However, the frog Is singing a different tune when he sees the next act…|
|Lenny the Lizard auditions as an emcee, to Kermit's distaste.|
|The next act is a group from the Planet Koozebane, called The Fazoobs. They perform an unusual musical number.|
|During the UK Spot, Gonzo tries to tell Kermit all about his new act, but Kermit won't listen. Gonzo even offers to audition, but Kermit won't have it.|
|The UK Spot continues when Scooter introduces Gonzales and Yolanda (Gonzo and his Dancing Cheese) as the next act.|
| ||Mary Louise attempts to audition again, this time as Carrie Louise, performing "Old Man Ribbit". But Miss Piggy pulls her off-stage, reminding her that she's the only female singer on the show.|
|Steve performs his "Ramblin' Guy" act.|
| ||Sam the Eagle tells Kermit that he is outraged, asking if there is any old-fashioned entertainment auditioning. Scooter can only vouch for the old part: Statler and Waldorf, who perform "The Varsity Drag" complete with heckling from Fozzie Bear.|
|Sam likes their act, and believes that the show can become more cultural, but his hope ends when Scooter mentions the next act.|
|Marvin Suggs and the All Food Glee Club perform "Yes, We Have No Bananas".|
| ||Steve performs another act, introduced as "juggling guy". When he accidentally "kills" one of the oranges he's juggling, the Swedish Chef comes on to offer a solution: a juicer.|
|The Flying Zucchini Brothers audition their human cannonball act. However, the cannon doesn't fire (until after the curtains come down).|
|Steve and the jugband play "Dueling Banjos", briefly accompanied by the Fazoobs and the All Food Glee Club, with a big finish by the Zucchini Brothers.|
|Despite there being no show, Kermit thanks their special guest star anyway. Steve plays "The Muppet Show Theme" as the credits start to roll.|
- Nickelodeon: Mary Louise's second and third attempts to audition were cut, as was Floyd's reaction to Marvin Suggs and the all-Food Glee Club.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf the Dog, Statler and Waldorf, Floyd Pepper, The Swedish Chef, The Lautrec Sisters, Mary Louise, Frog, Baskerville the Hound, Lenny the Lizard, The Fazoobs, Yolanda, Sam the Eagle, Marvin Suggs, The Singing Food, Animal, The Flying Zucchini Brothers, Lubbock Lou, Slim Wilson, Lou, Gramps, Bubba
- Mildred Huxtetter, Zelda Rose, T.R. the Rooster, Catgut, Beautiful Day Monster, Koozebanian Phoob, Frackles, Miss Mousey, Miss Kitty, The Sheikh's Wife, The Newsman, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Droop, George the Janitor, Dr. Teeth, Nigel, Mahna Mahna, Hilda, Trumpet Girl, Pig, Chickens, Whatnots
- Jim Henson as Kermit the Frog, Rowlf, The Swedish Chef, Waldorf, one of the Fazoobs, and String Beans
- Frank Oz as Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam the Eagle, Miss Piggy, Marvin Suggs, Lautrec Sister, one of the Fazoobs and one of the Zucchini Brothers
- Jerry Nelson as Floyd Pepper, Lautrec Sister, Baskerville the Hound, Frog, one of the Fazoobs, Artichoke, Scallions and Slim Wilson
- Richard Hunt as Scooter, Lenny the Lizard, Statler, Asparagus and one of the Zucchini Brothers
- Dave Goelz as Gonzo, one of the Zucchini Brothers and Cabbage
- Louise Gold as Mary Louise, Lautrec Sister, and Tomato (uncredited)
- Falk, Karen. "Jim Henson's Red Book", 7/19/1977 Steve Martin (MS)
- The AV Club "A Very Special Episode" by Noel Murray, November 4, 2010
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Edgar Bergen||Madeline Kahn|