|Air Date|| 1990 (UK)|
|Written by||Anthony Minghella|
Living With Dinosaurs is a television special that originally aired in the UK on December 30, 1990. "Living with Dinosaurs" was written by Anthony Minghella, and directed by Paul Weiland, both of whom also worked on The StoryTeller. In the special, a socially awkward young English boy named Dom deals with his fears about his unemployed artist father (Lee), his pregnant mother (Vicky), and his asthma, with the help of his favorite doll, a stuffed dinosaur named Dog.
After airing in the UK, the special was re-formatted to become an episode of The Jim Henson Hour for NBC in the US. However, the series was cancelled before the reformatted version aired (intended as episode #11).
The reworked The Jim Henson Hour episode consists of the standard framing element of Jim Henson appearing in the digital environment speaking to the audience, and no MuppetTelevision segment to accommodate the "Living with Dinosaurs" story.
The original special (without Henson's bookends or The Jim Henson Hour titles) later aired on Nickelodeon in the US in 1993.
In 2000, a pilot script was written for a new series based on Living With Dinosaurs, but it was never produced.
As far as we know, no Jim Henson Hour episodes aired in the UK. Any rumors that Jim Henson Hour material aired in the UK are based on The Storyteller, Monster Maker and Living With Dinosaurs airing as separate specials.
There is currently no evidence that the Jim Henson Hour version of Living With Dinosaurs (with Jim's intros and outtro) aired anywhere at all, though it exists in fan hands.
- Michael Maloney as Lee
- Juliet Stevenson as Vicky
- Gregory Chisholm as Dom
- Patrick Malahide as Uncle Adrian
- Darren Bastable as Victor
- Gwyneth Strong as Teacher
- Myron McKay as Friend
- Byron Spiers as Case
- Pippa Ford-Jones as Girl
- Producer: Duncan Kenworthy
- Jim Henson's Creature Shop: Peter Brooke, David Housman, Lesja Liber, Mike Osborn, Neal Scanlan, Cheryl Henson, David Dunsterville
- Creative Supervisor: John Stephenson
- Music: Rachel Portman
- Costume Designer: Ann Hollowood
- Production Designer: Simon Holland
- Photographed by Peter Hannan
- Produced in association with TVS Films Ltd.
- Henson.com page
- Jim Henson's Red Book entry
- Tough Pigs Anthology -- The Jim Henson Hour: A Lost Muppet Classic
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Secrets of the Muppets||Food|