|Bear in the Big Blue House|
|Premiere||October 30, 1997|
|Written by||P. Kevin Strader|
One morning, Bear steps just outside the Big Blue House to check the mail. There's plenty of mail, but Pip and Pop are disappointed to learn there's none for them. Bear cheers them up by letting them deliver the mail to everyone and personally takes a letter to Tutter --- his first ever. It's from his Grandma Flutter and he's very pleased to receive it. Pip and Pop deliver a package to Treelo, which turns out to contain a feather. Tutter decides to write a letter back to his Grandma. Ojo also receives mail --- a postcard from her Uncle Koala. Shadow tells a story of a girl who wrote a letter, but lost it.
- The first song in this episode, "What's in the Mail Today?" is Track 2 on the album More Songs from Jim Henson's Bear in the Big Blue House. The second, "Dear Grandma" is Track 4 on the album Songs from Jim Henson's Bear in the Big Blue House The first song is listed in the closing credits of the episodes without a question mark and the second is titled "Dear Grandma Flutter" in the credits. "What's in the Mail Today?" is sometimes heard in a shortened form in later episodes. The version on the album contains additional lyrics and a backup choir not heard on the TV version.
- There is no mention of Jeremiah Tortoise in this episode, but as the Woodland Valley mailman, he will become an important figure later in the series.
- This episode appears in most online listings with neither a comma nor a question mark in the title.
- Pip and Pop reference a well-known U.S. Postal Service slogan when they say that they won't let things like rain or snow stop them from delivering the mail.
- At the end of the episode, Bear and Tutter reference Dean Martin, who said his catchphrase, "Keep those cards and letters coming in!", at the end of his variety show. This episode was directed by Hugh Martin, although it is unknown (and unlikely) that he is any relation to Dean Martin.
- Bear in the Big Blue House: Volume 1
- Hong Kong VCD
- What's in the Mail, Today? (Hong Kong DVD)
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Falling for Fall||Dancin' the Day Away|