|Plot||Maria pretends that she can't speak.|
|Air date||January 11, 1972|
|Season||Season 3 (1971-1972)|
- Maria pantomimes that she has lost her voice because there's something wrong with her throat, that she has gone to see a doctor, and that he told her not to talk until tomorrow.
- Still unable to talk, Maria pantomimes to Mr. Hooper that she wants to buy a banana.
- George the Farmer demonstrates beginning and end.
- Betty Lou teaches the meaning of "beginning", "middle", and "end", and introduces two of her friends: Beginning and End. The duo tell a story, but it lacks something in between the beginning and end parts. Beginning and End recruit their pal Middle to fill out the rest of the story. Middle, however, cannot stop telling the exciting part of the story, and the three friends begin a quarrel, forcing Betty Lou to declare the end of the lecture. (First: Episode 0138)
- David asks a kid if he should plant a tree in a small space among flowers or in a big space among flowers. They decide that since every living thing needs room to grow that they will plant the tree in the big space.
- Maria pantomimes to Antonio (who speaks Spanish) that she is giving him a screwdriver to return to his father.
- Cartoon: Offscreen voices try to guess what a line turns into. The line becomes a picture of a kite, but a piece breaks off and turns the picture into a fish. (This animation is shown twice -- in English and Spanish.) (EKA: Episode 0277)
- Mr. Hooper shows some kids pictures of an airplane, an axe, a bike, and a hose, then he shows them pictures of a horse, an elephant, a bird, and a beaver. He asks them what each of the first four pictures have in common with one of the animals in the other group of pictures.
- Cartoon: A bully says the alphabet to a mild-mannered gardener, who hits him in the face with a pie at the end. (EKA: Episode 0300)
- David and a few kids talk about all the animals that live in the ocean. He tells them that two of his favorites are the crab and lobster.
- Oscar observes Maria drop a paper bag. Because her arms are full of other packages, she can't bend over to pick up the bag; because she can't speak, she can't ask anyone to pick up the bag for her. Oscar doesn't help matters by ordering David to pick up the bag. But Maria shows David that she is helpless and would appreciate it if he would help her. Of course, he does.
- Mr. Hooper asks where the letter Z belongs. Does it belong at the beginning of the alphabet, in the middle of the alphabet, or at the end of the alphabet?
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Episode 0316||Episode 0318|