|Produced by||Sony Wonder|
Elmo's Magic Cookbook is a 2001 Sesame Street direct-to-video special, focused on teaching kids how easy it is to cook. After its release, the video aired as a special on the Food Network on April 15, 2001.
Elmo is exploring the attic of the Carriage House with two kids and Telly. In the process, they discover a magic cookbook (which behaves like a CG puppy) and summon Jean the Genie. Though she grants food-based wishes, Jean can only materialize ingredients (and transport the cast to an undisclosed kitchen location). The group must cook the food themselves, which results in Telly spending most of the video churning ice cream. In keeping with tradition, the ingredients are sentient Muppets, who crack one-liners but express no concern over their eventual consumption by a furry red monster, but do demand recognition.
To provide the appropriate adult supervision and assistance, Jean summons Alan (who shows them how to arrange food into animals or objects) and Emeril Lagasse (to make pizza). Finally, Jean summons the Pocket Queen (Heather Headley) who explains the concept of food pockets and shows him how to make Vietnamese summer rolls. The group finally enjoys their ice cream (and a last minute cameo by Cookie Monster), while the end credits feature food constructed caricatures of the Sesame Street Muppets.
The video was included on the DVD, C is for Cooking, as a bonus feature.
- Baby Bear demonstrates the word "Hot". (EKA: Episode 3943)
- Cartoon: "Wash Your Hands Before You Eat"; Artist: Bruce Cayard (EKA: Episode 2640)
- Animation: In stop-motion, sandwich ingredients square-dance in a ring and arrange themselves into a sandwich and ends with a bite taken out of it. (EKA: Episode 3080)
- A pizza is made and the slices form the word PIZZA. (EKA: Episode 3408)
- Grover and Mr. Johnson: Speedy Pizza (First: Episode 2971)
- Cartoon: Pizza maker Original Jay demonstrates how he got his name: his pizzas talk and dance. Artist: Mo Willems (EKA: Episode 3280)
- Cartoon: "The Girl Who Loved to Try and Eat New Foods" (from Elmo's World: Food)
- Writers: Joseph Mazzarino (inserts by Sara Compton, G. Ross Parker)
- Director: Lisa Simon (inserts by Ted May and Jon Stone)
- Muppet Performers:
- Kevin Clash as Elmo and Baloney
- Martin P. Robinson as Telly, Cheese, Glass of Milk
- Stephanie D'Abruzzo as Jean the Genie, Cow
- Jerry Nelson as Mr. Johnson (insert)
- David Rudman as Cookie Monster and Baby Bear (insert)
- Matt Vogel as Glass of Water
- John Tartaglia as Tomato
- Rick Lyon
- Lara MacLean
- and Frank Oz as Grover (insert) and Cookie Monster (voice only)
- ↑ The Cincinnati Enquirer, May 4, 2001.