During the film's early production phase, in 1992, Jim Henson's Creature Shop was hired by director Raffaella De Laurentiis to create the dragon as an enormous animatronic. A warehouse in Camden Town was utilized for the project, becoming the new Creature Shop headquarters, and a full-sized dragon head and quarter-scale animatronic dragon puppet were produced. John Stephenson referred to the dragons as "one of the best jobs we've ever done." Only a small amount of test footage was shot. Dragonheart was put on hold, and when the film was finally completed, the dragon was created entirely through computer animation.
- When Dragonheart actor Dennis Quaid appeared on Muppets Tonight in episode 207, he introduced a purported screen-test for the film in which he played "Sir Cumference of the Circle" and Kermit the Frog stretched his acting ability as a dragon named "Frogo" (who sounds nothing like Sean Connery).
- Ben Kingsley played Drago in Dragonheart 3: The Sorcerer's Curse (2015)
- Pete Postlethwaite played Brother Gilbert of Glockenspur in Dragonheart (1996)
- John Gielgud voiced King Arthur in Dragonheart (1996)
- Dennis Quaid played Bowen in Dragonheart (1996)
- Patrick Stewart played Drago in Dragonheart 4: Battle for the Heartfire (2017)