During the film's early production phase, in 1992, Jim Henson's Creature Shop was hired by director Raffaella di Laurentis to create the dragon as an enormous animatronic. A warehouse in Camden Town was utilized for the project, becoming the new Creature Shop headquarters, and a full-sized dragon head and quarter-scale animatronic dragon puppet were produced. John Stephenson referred to the dragons as "one of the best jobs we've ever done." Only a few frames of test footage were shot. Dragonheart was put on hold, and when the film was finally completed, the dragon was created entirely through computer animation.
- Muppets Tonight episode 207 featured guest star Dennis Quaid in a purported screen-test for Dragonheart, playing "Sir Cumference of the Circle." The dragon, "Frogo," was played by Kermit the Frog.
- Ben Kingsley played Drago in Dragonheart 3: The Sorcerer's Curse (2015)
- Pete Postlethwaite played Brother Gilbert of Glockenspur in Dragonheart (1996)
- Dennis Quaid played Bowen in Dragonheart (1996)
- Patrick Stewart played Drago in Dragonheart 4: Battle for the Heartfire (2017)