|Written by||Joe Raposo|
|Publisher||Wizzybus Music, Inc.|
"Doin' the Pigeon" is a Sesame Street song sung by Bert, who demonstrates a dance inspired by his favorite animal. In the TV version of the song, Bert's entire body is seen against a black background as he goes through his dance steps.
The sketch begins with Bert showing some home movie footage of pigeons. This introduction was edited out of most video releases of the song, though it was included when released as part of episode 0536 in Old School: Volume 1. When the segment aired in a 2000 episode, Bert is said to be at a Pigeon Convention in Peoria, so the song is presented as an act he does, with an introduction by Jerry Nelson and the pigeon film and intro verse cut.
The song was also performed in the Sesame Street LIVE! show, A Sesame Street Mystery: The Case of the Missing Rara Avis.
- Bert's Blockbusters (1974)
- Bert Sings: Doin' the Pigeon/I Want to Hold Your Ear (single, 1976)
- Sesame Street Fever (disco version, 1978)
- Rubber Duckie (disco version)/Doin' the Pigeon (disco version) (single, 1979)
- The Best of Bert (1983)
- Sing: Songs of Joe Raposo (1992)
- Platinum All-Time Favorites (1995)
- Bert and Ernie's Greatest Hits (1996)
- Songs from the Street (2003)
- Get Up and Dance (2003, CD sampler)
- Elmo's Dance Party (2012)
- Sing Along (1987) - introduction edited
- Dance Along! (1990) - introduction edited
- Sesame Street: 25 Wonderful Years (1994) - introduction edited
- What's the Name of That Song? (2004) - edited, new graphics and sound effects added
- Old School: Volume 1 (2006) - in Episode 0536
- Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days (2009)
- This song was spoofed as "Going to (boo-hoo) Prison" in a sketch on Mad TV.