Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Dixieland music, sometimes referred to as New Orleans jazz, is a type of jazz which formed in the early 20th century in New Orleans, Louisiana. A combination of ragtime, blues, and brass bands, Dixieland's distinct sound forms from a single instrument, more often then not a trumpet, playing the melody, with the other instruments improvising around it.
Well-known jazz standard songs from the Dixieland era include "Basin Street Blues" and "When the Saints Go Marching In".
Dixieland bands, and the music, have been featured in multiple Muppet productions.
- The Electric Mayhem played the role of a Dixieland band for "Cotton Fields".
- Hal Linden leads the Muppets in "When the Saints Go Marching In," while Beauregard tests the onstage trap doors.
- Wynton Marsalis shows Elmo, Telly, Zoe and some Honkers how to tune up before playing a Dixieland tune on episode 3750 of Sesame Street.
- The Wormy Gras parade featured a Dixieland band.
- Dixieland songs include "Watching All the Triangles Go" and "Oom Rudolf's Dixielandband".
- In the special Big Bird's Birthday or Let Me Eat Cake, an all-monster Dixieland band plays "Big Bird's Beautiful Birthday Bash."