In the Muppet world, there is a time honored tradition of playing detectives. Outside of such professional investigative figures as Sherlock Hemlock and Colambo, other characters have been known to embark on crime-solving excursions. While deductive reasoning and interrogation have their role to play, the true sign that any character is playing detective is the instant donning of a Sherlock Holmes hat, trenchcoat, and/or the use of an over-sized magnifying glass.
Characters who have taken a turn at sleuthing include the following:
- Baby Gonzo - "Sherlock Gonzo" from Muppet Babies.
- Baby Kermit - "The Best Friend I Never Had"
- Big Bird - Big Bird Discovers the Orchestra
- Chamki - Many episodes of Galli Galli Sim Sim
- Chelli - Big Bag
- Clifford and Bobo in the Fairyland PD series on Muppets Tonight
- Kermit the Frog - many occasions, including The Muppet Show episode 414, in The Bunny Slipper Mystery, in "Kermit the Frog, Private Eye" from Little Muppet Monsters, as Detective Amphibowicz in NYPD Green from Muppets Tonight, and the March photo from The Miss Piggy Calendar 1980.
- Mojabo - Many episodes of Sesame Street (Japan)
- Ojo and Tutter - "It's a Mystery to Me" and Mystery at the Big Blue House
- Red Fraggle - "Inspector Red" from Fraggle Rock
- Robin the Frog - The Case of the Missing Hat
- Rowlf the Dog - Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Disappearing Clues on The Muppet Show episode 103.
- Scooter - The Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson #2
- Telly Monster and Baby Bear in Computer Caper
- Telly Monster and Zoe in Episode 4147.
- A whale portrays Sherlock Holmes in a Muppets Tonight sketch from Episode 206.
- Wolle - Many episodes of Sesamstrasse