C-3PO and R2-D2 are robot characters from the Star Wars franchise. They have appeared in all six theatrical Star Wars films, and several spin-offs including animated TV series and specials, Disney theme park attractions, concept albums, and commercials.
Anthony Daniels played C-3PO in both the movies and all Muppet appearances. For R2-D2, although Kenny Baker originated the role in the movies, a "three legged" R2 robot was used for his Muppet appearances, operated by radio control. On The Muppet Show, R2 was credited as being played by "Himself."
- 1979 - Appeared in Sesame Street episodes 1364 and 1396. Also filmed inserts for other episodes, including "Beep" and "I Say Banana", the latter only featuring R2D2, while both inserts featured Big Bird.
- 1980 - Appeared in episode 417 of The Muppet Show.
- 1990 - Disneyland's 35th Anniversary Celebration, hosted by Tony Danza. Danza talks to the droids (in their Audio-Animatronic forms from the Star Tours ride queue) as R2-D2 hooks up a transmission from Miss Piggy to Danza.
- When a robot comes out of Fozzie's magician's hat in episode 421 of The Muppet Show, he asks, "You were expecting R2-D2, maybe?"
- A toy version of R2 can be seen on the night stand next to Gabriel's bed in "Honest Lullaby" from episode 503 of The Muppet Show.
- In the Muppet Babies episode "Muppet Babies: The Next Generation" Baby Scooter tries to be R2-D2, but Baby Skeeter and Baby Bean show up as Skeeter-3PO and R2-Bean2.