Antarctica is one of the seven continents of the Earth, located below the Antarctic Circle. 98% of the continent is covered with ice, and it has no native human population (due in large part to the freezing temperatures and high winds). Scientific researchers staff various research stations on a rotational basis, but the largest demographic group, in fact and popular fiction, consist of penguins. Various breeds of seals and whales and other marine animals are also native fauna.
- In episode 304 of The Muppet Show, Kermit introduces "Lullaby of Broadway" (performed by Eskimo pigs, joined by a few penguins, fish, and others) as a "traditional lullaby from beyond the Antarctic Circle" (or somewhere).
- Sesame Street and its residents have made frequent visits to Antarctica. The continent was the focus of the song "Antarctica!" as two travel agents extol the virtues of vacationing where the nights are six months long. Antarctica was again the location for the song "El Baile del Pinguino."
- Big Bird went to Antarctica in an attempt to "Journey to Ernie." (First: Episode 3981) He had full license to visit, since prior to his diplomatic mission to China, Big Bird had been appointed ambassador to Antarctica by Queen Agatha in The Sesame Street ABC Storybook (1974).
- Super Grover 2.0 went to Antarctica to remove an obstacle from a penguin dance party. (EKA: Episode 4213) In another segment, he tries to give a cactus a new ball in the form of a snowball from Antarctica (which promptly melts). (First: Episode 4217)
- The Elmo's World installment "Penguins" centered on the most famous residents of Antarctica and included Good Morning, Antarctica as a program on The Penguin Channel.
- The Muppet Babies journey to Antarctica in search of a missing penguin in "Get Me to the Perch on Time."
- In The Animal Show episode "Penguin & Kiwi," a penguin is one of the animal guests, and Ollie and Armstrong visit Antarctica for their "Habitat Time" segment, observing live footage of seals and the ice and wind. Monty the Elephant Seal also hails from the continent.
- In a Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures short, Bert and Ernie travel to Antarctica and deal with penguins. (First: Episode 4179)