5, Rue Sésame is a French language children's television series based on the American show Sesame Street, aired by France 5. Premiering on October 22, 2005, the series is the second Sesame Workshop co-production for France, which originally aired as 1, Rue Sésame in the 70s and early 80s.
Terry Fitzpatrick, Sesame Workshop's executive VP for distribution:
|“||France has always been a priority market for Sesame Workshop. We first provided local programming and licensed products in the 1970's, and have since seen the preschool media landscape evolve tremendously. We are excited to be re-entering the French market with two of the strongest partners in the television business—France's number one preschool broadcaster and the most innovative production company—to deliver compelling educational television that serves the needs of today's children.||”|
For the most part, characters in 5, Rue Sésame are unique to the series.
- Nac is a giant yellow monster, who's 2.2 meters tall. Nac fills the Big Bird role as the mascot of the show, and he shares Big Bird's sunny and gentle disposition.
- Griotte is an Lavender Anything Muppet girl in a wheelchair. Her puppet is the same design used for Roxie Marie, a now retired Sesame Street character.
- Yoyo is an orange monster with a tall head. He's very emotional and anxious, but he loves people and makes friends easily.
- Olive is a green, furry monster who's the firecracker on the street—naughty, fearless and always laughing.
- Elmo is a friend from the American Sesame Street—at 3-and-a-half years old, he's the youngest Muppet on the show.
- Georges the Penguin arrived on Rue Sésame inside an ice cube, and soon made friends with the other residents.
- Titouan is a retired older dad.
- Baya is the baker on the Street—she's confident and optimistic.
- Juliette is a young student who works at the newsstand.
- Régis Fassier as Nac
- Charlie Bazire as Olive
- Richard Sandra as Georges
- Christophe Albertini as Elmo
- Yves Brunier as Yoyo
- Evelyne Scheigam as Griotte
- Francoise Salmon (YoYo assistant)